The Oulu Symphony Orchestra invites applications for the position of principal percussion. The position also includes an obligation to play timpani.
Oulu Symphony Orchestra is composed of 61 musicians and is the northernmost symphony orchestra in Finland. The Oulu Symphony Orchestra performs traditional symphony concerts, as well as a wide range of musical genres. Madetoja hall at the Oulu Music Center has 816 seats.
The task is to act as principal percussion in the symphony orchestra. The principal percussion is expected to maintain his/her playing skills and carry out all other tasks within the area of responsibility.
The position requires excellent playing skills and good social interaction skills.
Bonuses for previous work experience shall be added to the pay in accordance with the Collective Agreement along with compensations for costume and musical instrument. In addition, will be paid locally agreed media and media usage compensation.
The audition will be held on Friday the 31st of March 2023 starting at 11am (Finnish time) at the Madetoja Hall, Leevi Madetojan katu 1-3, Oulu, Finland.
– Marimba: Eris Sammut – Hombre d’aout
– Snare drum: Jacques Delécluse – Etude No.1
– Timpani: Nick Woud – Etude No.15 from Symphonic Studies for Timpani
– Vibraphone: Ruud Wiener – Little Love Song
– Mandatory repertoire (above) parts will be downloadable from Oulu Symphony Orchestra’s website https://oulusinfonia.fi/en/vacancies/ starting 1.2.2023.
– Orchestral excerpts, which are downloadable from Oulu Symphony Orchestra’s website https://oulusinfonia.fi/en/vacancies/ starting 24.2.2023.
Orchestra’s instruments must be used in the audition, apart from tambourine, which can be applicant’s personal instrument.
The one who will be appointed to this position must submit a medical certificate for his/her state of health before accepting the position. The City of Oulu applies a probationary period of six (6) months in its permanent positions.
Applications should primarily be submitted through the electronic application form in Kuntarekry. Alternatively, applications can be submitted to the address Oulun kaupungin kirjaamo, PL 71, 90015 Oulun kaupunki, visiting address Kansankatu 55 A. Applications must include the position-specific register number OUKA/814/2023. Closing date for submitting applications is 3 March 2023 at 3pm (Finnish time).